Skip to main content

Grocery Shopping After A Celiac Diagnosis.

So, you have just been diagnosed with Celiac Disease. You are told that you can no longer eat the food that you love. You are getting ready for your first grocery shopping trip as a Celiac. As you enter the store, you may begin to feel overwhelmed, wondering if you will be able to find anything that you will be able to eat. As you skim the aisles, you see food that you love to eat, but cannot have. You may begin to feel a little sad, some may even cry a little. It's a big change.
You finally find food labeled Gluten Free. You've never had Gluten Free food before, and you wonder if it will taste good. You put it in your cart anyways, and continue your shopping.

Advice from one Celiac to another:
After I was first diagnosed with Celiac Disease, and had to go grocery shopping, I was overwhelmed. I had NO idea what I was doing, and I had no idea if I was going to even like the food. As I wandered the store for Gluten Free food, I felt a sense of sadness when I walked past food I once enjoyed. I even cried when I walked past oreos, wheat bread, pizza, and oatmeal. I was like this for weeks. Eventually, I was able to get past it, and focus on finding what Gluten Free food I liked and didn't like. Gluten Free food does have a different taste and consistency. It's not as cohesive as regular food, due to the fact that it does not contain the gluten protein that holds regular food together. Do not be afraid though. You will find Gluten Free food that does have a similar taste like regular food, some even taste BETTER than regular food.
Gluten Free Prices
You may have a mini-stroke after you see some of the prices of Gluten Free food. It is a lot more expensive than regular food. Sadly, you have to just deal with the prices. Unfortunately, there are rarely any coupons for Gluten Free products (trust me, I have been looking, I'm sort of an extreme couponer, LOL). The good news is, and I found this out recently, if you keep your grocery receipts, you can claim Gluten Free shopping on your taxes, provided you can prove that you have a Celiac Disease diagnosis. I will be writing more on this once I have researched the information.
Gluten Free Labeling
Once you are diagnosed with Celiac Disease, you need to become a ingredient expert. This will take time while you are shopping, but, it is essential that you read the labels carefully. Not all products are labeled Gluten Free, unfortunately. Most supermarkets have a natural and organic section, where you can find Gluten Free products. Manufacturers have become better at labeling items Certified Gluten Free. These are the foods that you can guarantee are safe. If the label says that the product is manufactured in a facility that shared equipment with wheat/gluten products, proceed with caution. This is the point where experimentation comes into play. You can try the product to see if you will have any reactions. Most of the time, I have not had a problem. 
Gluten Free Oats/Granola
This part isn't really talked about when you are diagnosed with Celiac Disease. There are Gluten Free oats and granola products. However, these are also "proceed with caution" products. If you are like me, and have a more severe case of Celiac Disease, stay away from these products. You will get sick. The only problem is, you don't know if you will be sick, if you do not try the products.

Celiac Disease does not have to be a jail sentence, as long as you are smart about shopping and reading labels. It may take you longer to shop, once you start reading labels, but, as you become more knowledgeable about labels, you will be able to spot keywords within seconds.
Do NOT try the product if it contains the following:
Modified Food Starch
Wheat flour
Barley
Rye
Oats
Enriched Wheat Flour
Be careful about Yeast Extract as well.

I hope this helps a new Celiac with their shopping experience. I did not really have the information on how to be a savvy shopper when I was diagnosed. It was all trial and error for me. I want to be able to help new Celiacs on their journey to becoming a smart, Gluten Free shopper.

(photo courtesy of: http://www.lifesourcenaturalfoods.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Certified-Gluten-Free.jpg)

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrities who have Celiac Disease

 Getting diagnosed with Celiac Disease can be pretty tough (believe me, I remember how hard it was for me). You may be the first among your family and/or friends that has been diagnosed as Celiac. It can be lonely (even though my grandmother had it, and I was partially raised by her, she had been gone for a few years when I was diagnosed. I had no one). What gave me some comfort was that I was not alone. Some of the celebrities I look up to were also Celiac Disease sufferers. People like Elizabeth Hasselbeck and Emmy Rossum had been living with the disease for years before I was diagnosed. I researched both and learned a lot from them. Also, learning that my first celeb crush has 2 Celiacs in his family really helped me feel less alone. Here is a list of celebs who have diagnosed Celiac Disease: Elizabeth Hasselbeck (public figure) Emmy Rossum (actress) Wil Wheaton's mom and sister Meg Cabot (author) Sarah Joy Brown (actress) Joe C (rapper who frequently performed with

South Park's Gluten-Free Ebola Episode

photo credit: southparkdigital Greetings Celiac Warriors! Recently, South Park did a gluten free episode that got a lot of attention in the gluten free and Celiac communities. For the most part, the reaction has been positive. Many folks, including myself, found it hilarious. You may be wondering what the episode was about. I'm going to give you the cliff notes version: The episode starts off with the kids returning to school after their start up company fails. Then the show cuts to the teachers lounge where the teachers are discussing Mr. Mackey who has gone gluten free. Mr. Mackey comes back and starts blaming all the world's problems on gluten. A co-worker becomes annoyed by all the gluten free talk and starts screaming at Mr. Mackey to shut up. Mackey states that behavior problems are due to gluten consumption. A female teacher expresses interest in going gluten free. Later on, the boys are on the radio promoting an "epic" party. Callers ask the boys i

Celiac Women At a Decreased Risk for Hormone-Related Cancers.

When it comes to Celiac Disease, there really are not many benefits to the disease. However, research has shown that women, who have been diagnosed with Celiac Disease, are at a lower risk for hormone-related cancers, which include Endometrial, Breast, and Ovarian Cancers. Women with Celiac Disease are 15% less likely to develop Breast Cancer, 40% less likely to develop Endometrial Cancer, and 11% less like to develop Ovarian Cancer. Researchers believe that this is due to a decreased level of female hormones that promote reproductive Cancers. Sources: http://thesavvyceliac.com/2012/09/22/celiac-may-reduce-breast-cancer-in-women/ http://www.celiac.com/articles/23048/1/Women-With-Celiac-Disease-At-Lower-Risk-for-Hormone-Related-Cancers/Page1.html (photo courtesy of: http://uvahealth.com/services/digestive-health-1/images-and-docs/landing_page_main_digestive2.jpg/image_large )