Skip to main content

Coping with Celiac Disease-Advice From One Celiac To Another.


Celiac Disease is an inherited, life-long autoimmune disorder that affects the small intestine. When gluten (a protein found in wheat) is ingested into the body, it creates a toxic reaction in the body, making the small intestine unable to absorb nutrients in food. This causes the person to become very sick. Some of the symptoms of Celiac Disease include, but, are not limited to: chronic diarrhea, fatigue, rashes, weight loss, hair loss, severe anemia, etc. There are 300 symptoms associated with Celiac Disease. There is no cure, but, Celiac Disease can be managed by adhering to a strict gluten free diet for the rest of your life.

When one is diagnosed with Celiac Disease, it is absolutely life-changing. All the food that you love, you can never have again. Things like wheat bread, oatmeal, beer, etc, are now forbidden. The emotional impact of the diagnosis varies from person to person.

When I was diagnosed two years ago, I was devastated. For a month following my diagnosis, I could not step into a supermarket without crying. As time went by, I was able to come to terms with my Celiac Disease, for the most part. The one problem I have begun to face, within the past year, is stigma.

Recently, Celiac Disease, and the Gluten Free lifestyle, has been discussed on TV. In programs such as "Jessie," "Kathie Lee and Hoda," and "Chelsea Lately." These TV shows have, not only given inaccurate information about those with Celiac Disease, they have mocked us, reducing us to less than human status. They have told the world that it is okay to ostracize us from society. We have been called "annoying, picky eaters." Chelsea Handler recently stated that we are "almost as annoying as vegetarians." First off, I am insulted by that remark in two ways. One, we Celiacs are NOT annoying. Two, I have friends who are vegetarians, and they have good and valid reasons for being vegetarian.
I have been in a funk lately because of what the media is depicting of Celiac Disease and the Gluten Free lifestyle. I have been angered by the stigma. The Celiac community has been in an uproar over what has been said about us. We have written letters to Kathie Lee and Hoda, Chelsea Lately, and petitioned Disney to remove the episode of "Jessie" from the airwaves.

People, Celiac Disease is a very serious illness. Unless you have it, or you know someone who has it, you have NO idea what we go through each and every day. Even a small speck of gluten, can make us very ill for weeks. We suffer from a malnourishment. We cannot help it. The villi on our small intestine has been destroyed by gluten. The villi is what absorbs nutrients. This is why we get sick. There is no medicine that can cure us. We need society to understand that we deserve respect. We may go to a restaurant and order a gluten free meal, and I understand, from a restaurant staff's point of view, that it can be annoying to have to cook a meal seperately, but, we have the right to go out to eat. We deserve the same respect as a regular patron of a restaurant. Restaurants, and society, need to be educated about Celiac Disease. Since the media won't feed the public correct information about Celiac Disease, it is up to those of us who suffer from Celiac Disease.

Since I am a blogger, I will be posting A LOT about Celiac Disease. It is my duty, responsibility, and pleasure to educate the world about this disease. Just like it is important to know about Diabetes and Lactose Intolerance, it is important to know about Celiac Disease.

Those of you with Celiac Disease, I understand how hard it is to have this disease. My advice to you is, ignore what TV and the media says about Celiac Disease. Ignore the names that we are called. Ignore the eye rolls. The best thing that you can do, is hold your head high, and educate everyone about this disease. Be open to sharing your struggles with the disease. We are NOT annoying, picky eaters. We are NOT less than human, and we are not terrible people. We are AMAZING people. :-)

(photo courtesy of: http://www.emaxhealth.com/files/imagecache/large/celiac%20disease.jpg)

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrities who have Celiac Disease

 Getting diagnosed with Celiac Disease can be pretty tough (believe me, I remember how hard it was for me). You may be the first among your family and/or friends that has been diagnosed as Celiac. It can be lonely (even though my grandmother had it, and I was partially raised by her, she had been gone for a few years when I was diagnosed. I had no one). What gave me some comfort was that I was not alone. Some of the celebrities I look up to were also Celiac Disease sufferers. People like Elizabeth Hasselbeck and Emmy Rossum had been living with the disease for years before I was diagnosed. I researched both and learned a lot from them. Also, learning that my first celeb crush has 2 Celiacs in his family really helped me feel less alone. Here is a list of celebs who have diagnosed Celiac Disease: Elizabeth Hasselbeck (public figure) Emmy Rossum (actress) Wil Wheaton's mom and sister Meg Cabot (author) Sarah Joy Brown (actress) Joe C (rapper who frequently performed with

To Eat Gluten Free Oats, or Not To Eat Gluten Free Oats?

When you're diagnosed with Celiac Disease, you are given a list of what food you cannot eat. Wheat, Barley, Rye, and Oats. However, you find that there is such a thing as gluten free oats. You wonder if it is safe for you to chance eating it. You think to yourself: "It's gluten free, so it cannot be too bad, right?" Depending on how sensitive your Celiac is, it may be bad. While a majority of Celiacs may be able to stomach gluten free oats, and granola, there are a small percentage of us that cannot handle GF oats and granola. I fall into the sensitive category. I loved eating oatmeal, before I was diagnosed with Celiac. After I was diagnosed, I was lost. It was not until a month or two after my diagnosis, where I discovered gluten free oats. I picked some up, and started eating it every morning for breakfast. It was not until day 3 of eating GF oats, where I began to feel sick. My stomach was cramping, I was fatigued, I was nauseated. I thought I had been "

South Park's Gluten-Free Ebola Episode

photo credit: southparkdigital Greetings Celiac Warriors! Recently, South Park did a gluten free episode that got a lot of attention in the gluten free and Celiac communities. For the most part, the reaction has been positive. Many folks, including myself, found it hilarious. You may be wondering what the episode was about. I'm going to give you the cliff notes version: The episode starts off with the kids returning to school after their start up company fails. Then the show cuts to the teachers lounge where the teachers are discussing Mr. Mackey who has gone gluten free. Mr. Mackey comes back and starts blaming all the world's problems on gluten. A co-worker becomes annoyed by all the gluten free talk and starts screaming at Mr. Mackey to shut up. Mackey states that behavior problems are due to gluten consumption. A female teacher expresses interest in going gluten free. Later on, the boys are on the radio promoting an "epic" party. Callers ask the boys i