Skip to main content

Creative Writing: "Diary Entry of Lennox Williams." (7/16/2010)

(7/16/2010)

Dear diary,

"This morning, I was woken up by a text from Heather. She wanted to make sure I was okay with what happened at the pizza place. I told her that it sucks, but, whatever. I asked her if she wanted to hang out later. She said that she was going out with her boyfriend. They were going to Rocko's Tacos. I asked if I could come with her, and she said that she wanted me to come with her, since I'm her BFF and all, but, they don't have anything that I could eat there. I texted back, saying okay, that's cool, and then I shut off my phone. I stayed in bed, thinking about this whole Celiac deal. It is totally unfair! It's ruining my life! I feel like a total loser. How am I going to deal with high school? How am I going to meet boys? Ugh!

Mom checked on me an hour ago. She asked if I was okay, and I lied and told her that I didn't sleep well last night. She said that she will let me sleep in for a little while or so, then she will make me breakfast. Mom has been great about cooking me the food I need to be eating. Dad has been on a business trip, so I don't know if he knows about my 'thing.'  I can't get my brother to try my gluten free food. He said it smells funny. He's right, LOL!

Whatever. Today I'm just going to stay home, since I can't go out anywhere. All my friends have the freedom to go where ever they want, and I'm stuck at home, being a total loser. I wish I could be normal."



(c) 2013 by Shauna S

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrities who have Celiac Disease

 Getting diagnosed with Celiac Disease can be pretty tough (believe me, I remember how hard it was for me). You may be the first among your family and/or friends that has been diagnosed as Celiac. It can be lonely (even though my grandmother had it, and I was partially raised by her, she had been gone for a few years when I was diagnosed. I had no one). What gave me some comfort was that I was not alone. Some of the celebrities I look up to were also Celiac Disease sufferers. People like Elizabeth Hasselbeck and Emmy Rossum had been living with the disease for years before I was diagnosed. I researched both and learned a lot from them. Also, learning that my first celeb crush has 2 Celiacs in his family really helped me feel less alone. Here is a list of celebs who have diagnosed Celiac Disease: Elizabeth Hasselbeck (public figure) Emmy Rossum (actress) Wil Wheaton's mom and sister Meg Cabot (author) Sarah Joy Brown (actress) Joe C (rapper who frequently performed with

South Park's Gluten-Free Ebola Episode

photo credit: southparkdigital Greetings Celiac Warriors! Recently, South Park did a gluten free episode that got a lot of attention in the gluten free and Celiac communities. For the most part, the reaction has been positive. Many folks, including myself, found it hilarious. You may be wondering what the episode was about. I'm going to give you the cliff notes version: The episode starts off with the kids returning to school after their start up company fails. Then the show cuts to the teachers lounge where the teachers are discussing Mr. Mackey who has gone gluten free. Mr. Mackey comes back and starts blaming all the world's problems on gluten. A co-worker becomes annoyed by all the gluten free talk and starts screaming at Mr. Mackey to shut up. Mackey states that behavior problems are due to gluten consumption. A female teacher expresses interest in going gluten free. Later on, the boys are on the radio promoting an "epic" party. Callers ask the boys i

Why we need more awareness about Celiac Disease.

Celiac Disease Awareness Month is here, and it is important that we continue to raise awareness in hopes it helps the rest of the world to take us seriously. This morning, I came across a heartbreaking story of a woman who died from complications of celiac disease. She had ignored her symptoms and didn't adhere to a GF diet. She, like all of us, ate wheat products for a portion of her life. Her body loved wheat. I mean, wheat products were yummy! When she was diagnosed with Celiac, not only was it during a time when gluten free food was very sparse, she had difficulty giving up what she loved: foods with wheat ingredients. She suffered the consequences of not adhering to a GF diet, as her liver gave out on her. She also had an enlarged stomach and had gained 30 pounds. She succumbed to her complications, and her daughter has spoken about her mother's health issues. She, like all of us, are hoping for more awareness to be raised. We as Celiacs need more support. All of