Skip to main content

Crazy couple of days

So the past few days, I been feeling under the weather. I been dealing with migraines, and very low energy levels. On top of that, I have been very stressed about my health insurance issues. I am on welfare because I am unable to work due to my back injury. Since I have no money coming in, I have to rely on my idiotic state for food stamps and insurance. The DSS workers in my state are total screw ups. I was approved for assistance a month ago. I received my food stamp card, but, not my insurance card. I waited a few weeks, thinking that it was just taking a while to process the new card. Here it is, almost June, and I hadn't received my card. I called DSS, several times, only to be further confused by the automated system. I left messages, and never received a call back. This morning, I drove to DSS and waited in line for over a half hour. One of the workers was running around trying to get the line moving. I am still not feeling well, and my back was hurting from standing for so long. I flagged her down and explained my situation. She said that my Food Stamp card IS my medicaid card. I'm thinking to myself, why didn't my letter say that to begin with? I could have been going through physical therapy by now. I left and started making my appointments. What's worse, I have had to ration my Bipolar and Anxiety medications for the past month, because I cannot afford to pay out of pocket to refill the prescriptions. I just refilled the prescriptions and will be able to pick them up tomorrow morning.

I am appalled that a program that is out to help people, does more harm than good. I understand that many people take advantage of this program because they are too darn lazy to get a job, but, people like me need this program to get back on their feet. Trust me, I did NOT want to be on this program, but, I have to be. Once I am back on my feet again, I am getting off this program. It is an unnecessary stress test.

It makes me laugh because I don't understand why people would rather be on this program and sit on their behinds, than to get out there, work, and take care of themselves. The program is run terribly. I cannot wait until I am well enough to be off the system.

People, these programs are supposed to help people that are in need of help. Do NOT take advantage of these assistance programs. You make the program 100x harder for those of us that need the program. The workers would not be such hard butts, if people were not taking advantage of the program.

Sorry for the rant, this is just the bull that I have been dealing with for the past month, and the stress has been making me sick for the past few days.

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrities who have Celiac Disease

 Getting diagnosed with Celiac Disease can be pretty tough (believe me, I remember how hard it was for me). You may be the first among your family and/or friends that has been diagnosed as Celiac. It can be lonely (even though my grandmother had it, and I was partially raised by her, she had been gone for a few years when I was diagnosed. I had no one). What gave me some comfort was that I was not alone. Some of the celebrities I look up to were also Celiac Disease sufferers. People like Elizabeth Hasselbeck and Emmy Rossum had been living with the disease for years before I was diagnosed. I researched both and learned a lot from them. Also, learning that my first celeb crush has 2 Celiacs in his family really helped me feel less alone. Here is a list of celebs who have diagnosed Celiac Disease: Elizabeth Hasselbeck (public figure) Emmy Rossum (actress) Wil Wheaton's mom and sister Meg Cabot (author) Sarah Joy Brown (actress) Joe C (rapper who frequently performed with

South Park's Gluten-Free Ebola Episode

photo credit: southparkdigital Greetings Celiac Warriors! Recently, South Park did a gluten free episode that got a lot of attention in the gluten free and Celiac communities. For the most part, the reaction has been positive. Many folks, including myself, found it hilarious. You may be wondering what the episode was about. I'm going to give you the cliff notes version: The episode starts off with the kids returning to school after their start up company fails. Then the show cuts to the teachers lounge where the teachers are discussing Mr. Mackey who has gone gluten free. Mr. Mackey comes back and starts blaming all the world's problems on gluten. A co-worker becomes annoyed by all the gluten free talk and starts screaming at Mr. Mackey to shut up. Mackey states that behavior problems are due to gluten consumption. A female teacher expresses interest in going gluten free. Later on, the boys are on the radio promoting an "epic" party. Callers ask the boys i

Why we need more awareness about Celiac Disease.

Celiac Disease Awareness Month is here, and it is important that we continue to raise awareness in hopes it helps the rest of the world to take us seriously. This morning, I came across a heartbreaking story of a woman who died from complications of celiac disease. She had ignored her symptoms and didn't adhere to a GF diet. She, like all of us, ate wheat products for a portion of her life. Her body loved wheat. I mean, wheat products were yummy! When she was diagnosed with Celiac, not only was it during a time when gluten free food was very sparse, she had difficulty giving up what she loved: foods with wheat ingredients. She suffered the consequences of not adhering to a GF diet, as her liver gave out on her. She also had an enlarged stomach and had gained 30 pounds. She succumbed to her complications, and her daughter has spoken about her mother's health issues. She, like all of us, are hoping for more awareness to be raised. We as Celiacs need more support. All of