Skip to main content

Styleite writer attempts gluten free joke and fails miserably

http://astore.amazon.com/celiwarr-20
Guys, I tend to think of myself as a relatively open-minded Celiac. I tend to think I have a pretty good sense of humor. I hear a lot of jokes and I laugh.
But, now I feel as if I'm getting to the point where the jokes are just getting a little too old. The gluten free frenzy has been around for quite a few years now, and the jokes just aren't funny anymore. They are just tired, old, and stupid.

Yesterday, a Styleite writer decided to write an article called "5 Foods You'd Never Know Were Gluten Free."
My fellow Celiacs may be interested in knowing what this "Einstein" put in her article:
  1. Sandstone (since we're not capable of having pasta)
  2. Leaves (since we don't deserve anything else)
  3. Air (because we deserve to look stupid)
  4. Corn 
  5. The internal organs of Celiacs. Yeah, so if people want to go on a gluten free diet, she suggests that the public slip us something in our drink and go to town on our internal organs. Nice, right? So we Celiacs deserve a date rape drug because we got stuck with an inherited, life-long, auto-immune disease that we have to deal with for the rest of our life. After we get slipped the drug, people can go to town on our internal organs, because we're obviously not human. We get to be the sacrificial lamb for those who want perfect skin and a waif-life physique.
That last one is what inspired me to write this article. I almost NEVER respond publicly to jokes like this, but when Celiacs are targeted directly, the gloves will come off.
My other concern is this whole 'slipping us something in our drink' deal. Since when is slipping someone a 'roofie' funny? The sick part is, is a woman wrote the article.

If the woman who wrote the article reads this, I hope she understands that Celiac Disease is a serious illness. People have died from the illness. Would she make a Cancer parody too? Probably, because she obviously doesn't have a heart, or a soul.

If you want to read her article, check it out here.

I highly recommend that the woman who wrote the Styleite article educate herself on Celiac Disease. I can recommend a few books for her. If some of you are wondering about what this Celiac Disease is all about, click on the above picture. You will be transferred to my Amazon store Look to the right of your screen and click on books. Some of the books in there are books that helped me after my diagnosis.

Education is key, people. It is obvious that the Styleite woman is ignorant. As for the rest of the world, the gluten free joke craze is so over. Move on to something else. The jokes aren't funny anymore.

[photo credit: memecrunch.com]

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrities who have Celiac Disease

 Getting diagnosed with Celiac Disease can be pretty tough (believe me, I remember how hard it was for me). You may be the first among your family and/or friends that has been diagnosed as Celiac. It can be lonely (even though my grandmother had it, and I was partially raised by her, she had been gone for a few years when I was diagnosed. I had no one). What gave me some comfort was that I was not alone. Some of the celebrities I look up to were also Celiac Disease sufferers. People like Elizabeth Hasselbeck and Emmy Rossum had been living with the disease for years before I was diagnosed. I researched both and learned a lot from them. Also, learning that my first celeb crush has 2 Celiacs in his family really helped me feel less alone. Here is a list of celebs who have diagnosed Celiac Disease: Elizabeth Hasselbeck (public figure) Emmy Rossum (actress) Wil Wheaton's mom and sister Meg Cabot (author) Sarah Joy Brown (actress) Joe C (rapper who frequently performed with

South Park's Gluten-Free Ebola Episode

photo credit: southparkdigital Greetings Celiac Warriors! Recently, South Park did a gluten free episode that got a lot of attention in the gluten free and Celiac communities. For the most part, the reaction has been positive. Many folks, including myself, found it hilarious. You may be wondering what the episode was about. I'm going to give you the cliff notes version: The episode starts off with the kids returning to school after their start up company fails. Then the show cuts to the teachers lounge where the teachers are discussing Mr. Mackey who has gone gluten free. Mr. Mackey comes back and starts blaming all the world's problems on gluten. A co-worker becomes annoyed by all the gluten free talk and starts screaming at Mr. Mackey to shut up. Mackey states that behavior problems are due to gluten consumption. A female teacher expresses interest in going gluten free. Later on, the boys are on the radio promoting an "epic" party. Callers ask the boys i

Celiac Women At a Decreased Risk for Hormone-Related Cancers.

When it comes to Celiac Disease, there really are not many benefits to the disease. However, research has shown that women, who have been diagnosed with Celiac Disease, are at a lower risk for hormone-related cancers, which include Endometrial, Breast, and Ovarian Cancers. Women with Celiac Disease are 15% less likely to develop Breast Cancer, 40% less likely to develop Endometrial Cancer, and 11% less like to develop Ovarian Cancer. Researchers believe that this is due to a decreased level of female hormones that promote reproductive Cancers. Sources: http://thesavvyceliac.com/2012/09/22/celiac-may-reduce-breast-cancer-in-women/ http://www.celiac.com/articles/23048/1/Women-With-Celiac-Disease-At-Lower-Risk-for-Hormone-Related-Cancers/Page1.html (photo courtesy of: http://uvahealth.com/services/digestive-health-1/images-and-docs/landing_page_main_digestive2.jpg/image_large )